Position Paper of the Extracorporeal Life Support Organization
A consensus of representatives of the Extracorporeal Life Support Organization, including the North American, Latin American, European, South and West Asian, and Asian-Pacific chapters, provides an extensive, consistent & unambiguousnomenclature and abbreviations for the description of the practice of extracorporeal support:
- extracorporeal applications: ECLS, ECMO, ECCO2r, ECPR? terminology for systems and support modes
- cannulation concepts & configurations: cannula, cannulation sites (peripheral and central), abbreviations, definitions and description
- terminology for device & extracorporeal circuits components/parameters
- terminology for circuit operation, from priming to weaning and explantation: drainage, pressures (pump inlet pressure, pre/post-membrane pressure and ΔP), flows, return, unloading & venting, some issues (recirculation, cavitation, global/differential hypoxemia)
- physical concepts & preferred measurement units applying to extracorporeal support.
Take a look at this essential the ahead-of-print article! here's the link
Conrad SA, Broman LM, Taccone FS, Lorusso R, Malfertheiner MV, Pappalardo F, Nardo MD, Belliato M, Grazioli L, Barbaro RP, McMullan DM, Pellegrino V, Brodie D, Bembea MM, Fan E, Mendonca M, Diaz R, Bartlett RH. The Extracorporeal Life Support Organization Maastricht Treaty for Nomenclature in Extracorporeal Life Support. A Position Paper of the Extracorporeal Life Support Organization. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2018 Apr 3.
Published on April 16, 2018